Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kassel Week One: The Bureacracy

Hello friends- I apologize for the lack of posting over the past week, but I have been without internet until yesterday. I'm still here in Kassel (that's a good sign) and I've a lot of important things to accomplish, but now that I have internet access I can do all the slacking off I haven't been able to do for the past week.

But of course, the official important things must take precedence, and so I've been running all over Kassel. I figured that my first step should be to register at the University. This is important for all the obvious reasons, but I also want my student ID card. With that card I can ride all the transportation in Kassel for free. So, off I went to the Studentenwerk and waited in line for about half an hour. When I got in to see the director, she told me that I couldn't register because I didn't have health insurance yet. Ahh. So, off I went to the local health insurance provider, A-OK, to enroll in health insurance. When I spoke to the agent, he informed me that I could enroll in the health insurance yet, because I didn't have a bank account. Ahh. So, off to the bank where, after waiting about half an hour, (notice a pattern here?) I finally met with someone. He informed me that since I was over age 27, I was not eligible for the free Studenten account. Ok, off to another bank. I waited there too, and then I was told that I couldn't get a bank account yet, because I hadn't registered with the Rathaus (city hall). Ahh. So, off to the Rathaus to wait again, only to be told that I needed my signed rental contract in order to register. Well then. That evening, Maria and Knauffi and I sat down, signed the rental contract, and the next day I set out to do it all in the right order. And I have to say, once you have everything that is required, it really is quite efficient.

I'm also starting to settle into my new home. I'll post pictures soon, but frankly, my room is still a bit messy so that will have to wait. It is lovely here, though. It's very quiet, except when the freight trains go by. But they aren't loud and screechy, and I actually quite enjoy it. As I mentioned, Maria and Knauffi are my landlords, and they are wonderful. They are funny, kind, and extremely helpful. It's a good thing too, because the Orientation tutors at the Uni are the exact opposite. M&K also have a dog, Miles, who I adore (big surprise). He's calm and sweet, and very affectionate with me. It's perfect. My apartment is on the other side of the city from the Uni and the city centre, which is OK with me. I sort of like being a bit detached. I've got supermarkets and public transportation all around me, and now that I have a bike I can roll wherever I like.

I've also been spending a lot of time with my friends Christian and Christine. They are German, and they both went to Uni Kassel. Christian studied in Lowell with Tom for a semester, and then Tom and I visited them while we were in Marburg two years ago. They are just wonderful people, and I really enjoy being with them. They have a new baby, Lena, who is three months old. Christine is home on maternity leave with her now, and while Lena is adorable and wonderful, Christine gets a bit bored. I've spent a lot of time at their apartment, watching DVDs of "Friends", having coffee, making dinner, drinking wine, etc etc. And of course making ridiculous faces at Lena. I've had six nights in Kassel so far, and I've spent two of them on Christian and Christine's couch. It's a good place to be.

The past few days have been busy, as I said, but tonight I have nowhere to be. I'll make some dinner and then clean up this room and finally put everything away. I will feel much more at home once everything is in it's place. I hope some interesting things will happen to me soon, and I'll be sure to rush right home and share them with you. Or not. But I'll keep the blog updated, and I will do my best to remember everything interesting.

Bis dann,
Tschüss!

4 comments:

  1. something lovely, funny and interesting will happen to you asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing interesting will happen to you until I'm around.
    Haha, oh, German banks! I had to get a new card the other day because the automat decided it didn't like mine anymore and kept spitting it out...I had to have the guy at the counter repeat himself like 10 times before I sort of understood what he was telling me. And then he let me take out 200 dollars. Without any form of ID or a pin number. Thank you, Deutschland, for reassuring me that if my card gets stolen, anyone can clear out my account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm an ass. I'm sure something interesting will happen, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that sort of thing drives me CRAZY. I hope you had a good book to read while in line, or that you had interesting line companions. I'm glad everything worked out okay on your "do over in order" day!
    And this is Jenna. I don't understand these "Comment as" choices.

    ReplyDelete